Natural Acne Treatment
Are you tired of all the chemicals and harsh cleansers used to treat acne? Are you looking for a natural acne treatment that will work? Read on for some options for natural acne treatment that will help with your acne and help you live a greener life.
What is Acne?
Acne is a common skin disorder that arises from the sebaceous glands on your face, neck and your back. The sebaceous glands in the skin excrete oils. When these glands become blocked by the oils and dead skin cells, acne blemishes result. Most people will suffer from acne at some point in their lives, usually during the teenage years. The type of acne most suffered by teens is called acne vulgaris. However, others can have acne blemishes come and go for their entire lives.
Many factors contribute to acne including excessively oily skin, medications, hormone imbalances, nutrition, allergies, liver and kidney problems, and stress. Liver and kidney problems enter the picture because they are the organs that clean the blood and rid the body of toxins. If these organs are not working effectively toxins can build up in the body. It is at that point the body will begin to use secondary methods to get rid of the toxins. One of those secondary methods is through the sweat glands. This allows the toxins to be deposited on the skin where they can block pores and cause acne symptoms.
Natural Acne Treatment
There are a number of products that are readily available and natural that you can use as a natural acne treatment. These alternative methods help you avoid chemical cleansers and may actually be better for your skin than over-the-counter or prescription therapies. Each individual has to decide between the available treatment options for themselves. A note of caution- if while using any of these methods your skin condition worsens, or you have a reaction, you seek the advice of your dermatologist. The following have been used successfully by people but your success may vary. Also, some of these may take up to 2-4 weeks to show any lasting results.
- Distilled Vinegar- It has been reported that both white vinegar and apple cider vinegar have been effective in treating acne. Vinegar (Acetic Acid) seems to work primarily by decreasing the pH to acidic and killing the bacteria that cause acne. Vinegar has both antibacterial and antifungal properties. Use a soft cloth and pat vinegar directly to the skin in affected areas. Let the vinegar stay on the skin for up to 10 minutes. Rinse the area gently with cool water and then gently pat dry.
- Lemon Juice- As with vinegar, lemon juice can be applied directly to the face and left on for up to 10 minutes. If the lemon juice causes stinging it can be diluted so it causes less discomfort. Other citrus juices can also be used as well. lemon juice works as a natural exfoliant to remove dead skin cells from the face, which we know contributes to blocking your pores.
- Echinacea- this incredible herb has both antibacterial and immune system boosting properties. Since the cause of the inflammation found in acne is the P. acnes bacteria, using a natural herb with antibacterial properties that boost your immune system also can be a great help. You can take echinacea supplements or use the herbal form to create a tincture to use directly on pimples and zits. You can also use the herbal form to make an infusion or tea and drink it twice daily to help increase immune response and decrease inflammation.
- Oregon Grape Root- This natural plant-based treatment has a host of healthy properties. It is a liver detoxifier, and help with hormone imbalance. It has both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It can be steeped and topically applied the same as vinegar or lemon juice. It can also be used to naturally treat eczema and psoriasis.
- Dandelion Root- Dandelion is another herb which can help detoxify the liver. In addition, it also has antimicrobial properties which make it helpful for fighting asthma. Dandelion root is also high in Vitamins A, B, C and D, as well as minerals which help to promote healthy skin.
- Red Clover- Red clover supplements can also be taken to help detoxify the liver. In addition, red clover acts as a diuretic, which helps the body get rid of more toxins during urination.
- Vitamin A- Vitamin A supplements will help with severe acne. However, you should only use Vitamin A under the direct supervision of a licensed health care professional High doses of Vitamin A can be toxic.
- Zinc- Zinc supplements are good to help with tissue repair and zinc helps prevent scars from forming.
- Water- Drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated help your skin stay hydrated and prevents it drying out. Water also helps to flush toxins from your system.
This is not an exhaustive list of substances for natural acne treatment. It is a list of the most popular and useful natural acne treatments. If you want to learn more about using natural herbs and essential oils for your health you can visit this site.